On this page
A few graphic changes.
A number of new features and quality of life improvements that should make the site easier to use, both on desktop and mobile.
Minor changes, including support for multiple bands with the same name from the same country.
For any mobile users, I've just added a new poll to the site (bottom right on any news page) to gauge how well the site is doing so far on your mobile devices.
If it turns out to be fairly useless on mobile I will either make a separate mobile version or most likely just make it more mobile friendly. In the not-so-immediate future.
Also, big thanks to everyone who submitted a bug report on April 1st. [»]
We recently surpassed the 50,000 album mark (well... 50,000 albums, EPs, demos, compilations, promos, and the odd rehearsal, live recording and single that got dragged into the mix) bringing the total number of releases featured on the site to 50,117 at the time of writing this.
That's quite a step up from the 100 albums originally featured when the site was first launched over 8 years ago. We've come a long way since then, so here's to another 50,000! If my estimates are correct, we'll reach that milestone in about 2031.
Of course, this couldn't have been achieved without you, the ... [»]
Improved site performance and a new nested comment system in preparation for user accounts further down the line.
Still not in the mood for writing reviews, so here's some more features and bug fixes instead.
A small update to replace the old double-genre system with something a bit more conventional.
After much deliberation, we decided the time has finally arrived for us to stop procrastinating, refocus our priorities, and get BBMA back in full swing. Over the past few years we've been hard at work behind the scenes whenever we have found the time, fixing bugs, adding new features, preparing new content... and now it has all finally come to fruition. You can already check out the 473 new album reviews we've added, with tonnes more already on the way. There are also over 20 new band biographies, fully up to date, and we've finally added our backlog of the 1,023 pending news items which ... [»]
Almost six years ago I published a poll to see which country's Black Metal scene you liked the most.
To be fair, the poll outstayed its welcome, and its premise was flawed to begin with. What was the point of asking users to choose a single country? Why would it matter? And why include some countries but not others? The truth is that not a lot of thought went into it, but at the time it seemed like a good follow-up to the previous poll (favourite genre).
I took the poll down some months ago, but for those wondering what the outcome was, here are the predictable and purposeless results:
I'll be ... [»]
Buy Black Metal albums online
Whenever you buy albums through our site's links,
we receive a small percentage for every sale.
This helps us to stay online and advert-free. Thank you for your continued support!
- Changelog for update 0.26 (5)
- Changelog for update 0.25 (2)
- Changelog for update 0.24 (1)
- New Poll Regarding Mobile Usability (6)
- 50,000 Albums (10)
- Changelog for update 0.23 (5)
- Changelog for update 0.22 (2)
- Changelog for update 0.21 (1)
- We're back! (Not) (5)
- Results in for favourite Black Metal scene poll (3)
- Changelog for update 0.20 (1)
- Changelog for update 0.19 (3)
- Google Chrome Extension for BBMA Searches (1)
- Changelog for update 0.18 (0)
- Search Engine Issues (Fixed) (1)
- Changelog for update 0.17 (6)
- Changelog for update 0.16 (2)
- A couple of changes (20)
- Major update (10)
- BBMA to be featured on Dark Radio Brazil (4)
- Update (8)
- Update (3)
- Von's new full length album streaming online (2)
- Keep of Kalessin release music video (2)
- Sodom release album trailer (2)
- David Parland passes away (8)
- Another Woe song streaming online (0)
- New Monarque song online (0)
- New full length by A Transylvanian Funeral out now (0)
- New album by From the Vastland out now (0)
- Dawn of Ashes - Genocide Chapters (1)
- Dimmu Borgir - Spiritual Black Dimensions (1)
- Changelog for update 0.26 (5)
- Alda - Tahoma (2)
- Inner Vöid - Cosmic Key to the Shining Trapezohedron (2)
- Dragged into Sunlight - Hatred for Mankind (1)
- The Ruins of Beverast - The Thule Grimoires (1)
- The Ruins of Beverast - Blood Vaults (2)
- The Ruins of Beverast - Exuvia (3)
- The Ruins of Beverast - Rain upon the Impure (62)
- The Ruins of Beverast - Foulest Semen of a Sheltered Elite (4)
- Damaar - Triumph Through Spears of Sacrilege (1)
- Black Pyre - Winter Solstice (2)
- Darkthrone - The Underground Resistance (16)
- Vuohi - Witchcraft Warfare (1)
- The Enochian - Goetia (1)
- Nattas - Domino (2)
- Venom - Hell (6)
- Evilfeast - Wintermoon Enchantment (3)
- Masokismi - Haudattu Kunnia (1)
- Koldbrann - Vertigo (1)
- Varathron - Patriarchs of Evil (1)
- Nattefrost - Terrorist (1)
- Nattefrost - Blood & Vomit (1)
- Yoth Iria - As the Flame Withers (6)
- Isolert - World in Ruins (1)
- Scent of Darkness - Insanitude (3)
- Mörk Gryning - Tusen År Har Gått... (1)
- Lunar Aurora - Andacht (10)
- Totenburg - Jenseits des Grabes (1)
On This Day
1997: Ulver released "Nattens Madrigal (Aatte Hymne til Ulven i Manden)", their third full-length, and their last Black Metal release before completely shifting styles into more ambient and electronic based music. (Pictured)